Knitting Machine Clamps

This is the problem child:


I lost the clamps to my Ultimate Knitting Machine in the most stupid of ways: I separated them from the box that the knitting machine is kept in. I've seen them repeatedly over the years, only one at any given time, not knowing what they belonged to, and clearly must have eventually thrown them out as I cannot find them in any of the storage bins they would be in. Genius, I tell you. Genius.

Below is a photo of the clamps that I need.

Photo from Ebay of the clamps that came with the knitting machine. Cost: $9.99
When I showed my husband the Ebay listing, he said no, you can make those. I did not want to, as I just wanted to order them and have them magically show up on my doorstep. Instead, he was kind enough to make them for my whiny ass. It's not that *I* couldn't make them, I'm just lazy.

Home brewed clamps care of my husband.
As you can see, they're basically identical. He used 1/4" threaded rod, two wing nuts, one piece of wood whose original dimensions are unknown to me, and two pieces of furniture foot padding. The total cost of materials was under $7.50.

Clamp in action.
So far they work well, but they do require a bit of fiddling to get them to clamp properly. I have some rubbery shelf liner and may replace the furniture foot padding with that instead. Now that I have a means by which to clamp them to the table, I can relearn how to use the dratted thing. My goal is to use undyed yarn so make blanks so I can gradient dye them.





Comments

Popular Posts